This morning my friend reminded me of the wonderful interview between Krista Tippett and Brene Brown. I relistened to it at the gym (embarrassing? It gets my heart rate up!)
Here are some of my favorite take-aways:
- “Most of us are brave and afraid in the exact same moment, all day long.”
- “When i meet you vulnerability is the first thing I try to find in you and the very last thing I try to show you in me. It’s the glue that holds connection together, it’s all about our common humanity. When we own our stories and share them with one another and we see ourselves reflected back in the stories of people in our lives, we know we are not alone. And to me that’s the heart of whole heartedness.”
- “It’s the long walk from what will people think to I am enough. I think it is recognizing if courage is a value that we hold as important, then vulnerability is the only way in and through.”
- “It starts by an openness to see ourselves and how we are protecting ourself from vulnerability.”
- Standing my ground, valuing my time and contributions, in a negotiation
- Asking someone for a second date. Going on a date. Period.
- Reaching out for support.
- Reaching out for a friend to get her more support.
- Going to a community event by myself and going up to the moderator after to thank her for her comments.
- Asking for help with a new machine at the gym and then responding confidently when the person commented on my “sun tan.”
- Setting boundaries with my ex.
Share your stories with yourself, a friend, or below to honor your strength and encourage others in your life to take some emotional risks!